13/2/2012 7:57 am  #1

Bing and Dick Haymes

A friend in USA has just sent me the Newsletter 66 of The  Dick Haymes Society, which I've noticed for years is mentioned in each issue of BING magazine. I'd not seen a copy of this well-produced publication before. On page 53 there's an article titled 'Dick Haymes Goes Dramatic', apparently from the Olean Times Herald of 26 July 1950, about Haymes' wish to develop his acting career, as Bing had so successfuly done. It's accompanied by a photo of Bing and Dick. The latter is neatly dressed in a sports jacket, tie, etc but Bing is wearing strange garb: a long check topcoat, torn pants and a very strange dark shirt with a ragged bottom. The background appears to be timber scaffolding. I'm unable to post this photo but it's so unusual that I'll bet someone who reads this will be able to guess its origin.

13/2/2012 2:10 pm  #2

Re: Bing and Dick Haymes

It was taken on the set of Connecticut Yankee. Hence Bing's strange garb.

14/2/2012 1:21 am  #3

I have just finished reading (borrowed from the library)  'The Life of Dick Haymes' written by Ruth Priogozsy (? spelling probably wrong) of Hofstra University who had a hand in the meeting there in 2002 - Can you believe that it is 10 years since then?
Interesting reading and Bing is mentioned a few times but sorry to say there wasn't a photo of Dick and Bing. I was surprised that he was only 62 when he died. I knew that he had been born in Argentina and was married a few times (5 I think).
The recording of 'Anything You Can Do' - Dick, Bing, Andrews Sisters is mentioned but not 'There's No Business Like Show Business'.
I have a couple of his CD's and I like him on a good number of the tracks. Poor bloke had a bit of a complex life and 'demons'.

16/2/2012 12:08 pm  #4

Ron Field wrote:

I have just finished reading (borrowed from the library)  'The Life of Dick Haymes' written by Ruth Priogozsy (? spelling probably wrong) of Hofstra University who had a hand in the meeting there in 2002 - Can you believe that it is 10 years since then?
Interesting reading and Bing is mentioned a few times but sorry to say there wasn't a photo of Dick and Bing.

The Dick Haymes Society maintain a website here http://www.dickhaymes.com/dhsociety/index.html
which contains links for the purchase of the book and a number of CDs.

Dick was in my opinion one of the great 'under-rateds' but as with many others he could not escape from the shadows of Bing. This from a 'Gramophone' review in 1976

'The gentle art of crooning is figuring prominently in the continuing spate of reissues riding the crest of the nostalgia wave, and Dick Haymes personifies the art with "The Best Of Dick Haymes" (MCA mono MCFM2720). Haymes, like his contemporaries Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald served his apprenticeship with the big bands during the swing era and in fact followed in Sinatra's footsteps twice when he succeeded him on the vocal staffs of Harry James and Tommy Dorsey. - - - - - -
There are some splendid examples of the songwriting art, too, present in the twenty items comprising this album - - -- --  - The entire LP is a feast of delightful singing, with the Haymes voice ideally showcased by the arrangements and accompaniments contributed by the late Victor Young and Gordon Jenkins, and Alan Dell's sleeve-note is a model of pertinent background information.
If Dick Haymes was and is a premier exponent of the crooning art, then Bing Crosby remains its inventor and supreme monarch. "Where The Blue Of The Night Meets The Gold Of The Day" (Music for Pleasure MFP50429) offers abundant proof of that statement.  - - - - - - '

As with Bing, Alan Dell played a part in later years - there was an interview in 1969 which provides source material for Ruth Prigozy's book and he did much to attempt to bring Haymes before the British radio listeners during the 1970s and later, and if I remember correctly produced one of Haymes' later LPs.
But Bing and Dick together - we just have those two recordings from 1947 and a radio show from 4 February 1948 when the two went through a medley accompanied and interrupted by Jimmy Durante.

17/2/2012 12:37 am  #5

Dick Haymes and Bing Crosby also appeared with fellow crooner Andy Russell on a hilarious Jack Benny broadcast where Jack was auditioning a new male singing group for his radio show.

Board footera