10/1/2012 5:47 pm  #1

Musical Analysis

Happened on this, in relation to 'I Surrender Dear'.

C major
Form    A - A - B - A
Tonality    There is a great deal of tension between major and minor before resolving to C major at the end of the 'A'  sections.
Movement    Primarily thirds in 'A'  sections, ascending for four measures, then cascading back down in measure 5. 'B'  moves step-wise over the range of a minor 3rd before a final downward leap of a fifth and subsequent bounce back up a fourth, returning to 'A'.
Comments     (assumed background)

If one takes the practice of chord substitution into consideration, the opening harmonic progression of this song is similar to 'I’ve Got You Under My Skin'  and 'Cheerful Little Earful.'  It is basically a ii7-V7-I-VI7, with a iii substituting for 'I.'  This gives the song an unsettled feeling, reflecting the tortured emotions of the singer. Although the harmony returns to 'I'  in measure 5, this is not the true resolution, which is delayed until the final (and title) line of the chorus, 'I surrender, dear.'
In 'B' , the progression jumps up to III7 as if there were to be a false key change to A minor, but–keeping with the spirit of the lyric–never quite makes it there, instead reaching up to the IV chord (in the original key, E7-F), then slipping back, only to reach again – and slip back. Eventually, it finally does resolve to vi, leading to the II7-V7 progression that should logically return to I but doesn’t until the final measures of the song.

It is also worth noting that the melody ends, not on the tonic note, but on the fifth, thus strengthening the impression of unresolved feelings and inner conflict. This is not a difficult piece since it stays within the range of a ninth. Performers should listen carefully to their rhythm section, keeping in mind that virtually every harmonic resolution is a delayed one.

K. J. McElrath - Musicologist for JazzStandards.com

Phew!  Who knew that? I just like the song, especially as delivered by Bing. Wonder if he knew what he was singing?

Much else in a similar vein at http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm

Rather like doing a chemical analysis of a fresh apple to try to explain why we like it.

11/1/2012 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Musical Analysis

Still, Richard, interwoven with the musical terminology are words like: tension, resolve, range, leap, bounce, progression, unsettled, tortured, false, spirit, slipping, strenthening, impression, delay -- an attempt, I think, to trace the relationship betwen the musical mathematics and the emotional narrative and drama of the song.  Despite my not understanding all of it, I get a whiff of apple fragrance from it.  ;)

Last edited by Steve Fay (11/1/2012 2:41 pm)

Board footera