08/11/2011 1:29 am  #1

Robin and the 7 Hoods

Bing's movies are rarely shown on free-to-air television in Australia but Robin and the 7 Hoods was shown on one of our networks in the early evening of Saturday 5 November. It had first appeared on our small screens in 1970. When the film had opened in Sydney's Regent theatre in 1965 the critic who reviewed it for The Sydney Morning Herald said it was 'a lousy movie' but The Sun-Herald's reviewer liked the presentation of the song 'Style' (but not the movie). I thought some of the film was belaboured but overall it was quite entertaining and the opportunity to see Bing and my fravourite character actor, Sig Ruman, was not to be missed.

08/11/2011 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Robin and the 7 Hoods

Not the best but surely 'lousy' is a considerable overstatement.  It lacks a certain level of finesse certainly, but there are many redeeming features. 'Style' and 'Mister Booze' are highly entertaining both verbally and visually - and the whole set up around 'Mister Booze' is extremely funny.  I suspect that stronger direction and greater cohesion between some of the set pieces might have improved things.  Sammy Davis was a great entertainer but they didn't find a way of incorporating him neatly enough into the story, his big number seeming to be clumsily stuck in, and personally I think Dean Martin was under-used. The scenes around the plotting could have been tighter (or possibly played humorously) - they tend to slow things down a lot.  But some parts are well done. It is a patchwork of good bits mixed with the indifferent or poor without adequate connections.  They did not know what to leave out or how to stitch it all together.

And then perhaps enthusiasm waned part way through on the assassination of JFK.

08/11/2011 10:54 pm  #3

Re: Robin and the 7 Hoods

...and the Frank Jr. kidnapping. With all that went on during the time of production, it's a miracle that film was completed.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera