26/7/2011 4:36 pm  #1

Bing 'n Basie

OK...maybe some time to fire up the place a lil' bit here.

Last night I sat back and played "Bing 'n Basie" and realized just how much I love this LP! I know, I know...Mr. C sounds like he is "phoning it in" at times and the two forces never recorded together on the project. But, there is just something about this album that makes me want to play it often. It is similar to the Sinatra/Ellington project "Francis A & Edward K" where the material isn't quite up to par but the overall product is quite enjoyable. Perhaps it is the fact that I am a fan of both Bing's and Basie's that makes this special for me. Also, it has that Sinatraesque feeling to it as it is a Sonny Burke production.

I'd appreciate hearing any comments from the Bing afficianados who walk about here as to their feelings, reflections, and (if possible) stories re: the making of this fine album.

Warm regards to all!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

26/7/2011 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Bing 'n Basie

Paul,  this is one that always gives me some problems.  When I compare it to an earlier LP collaboration between Tony Bennett and Count Basie, I feel a bit cheated...as if Bing's album would have been much better had he gotten arrangements and song choices as good as the ones on Tony's album.  But, I seem to recall that I liked some of it better the last time I listened to BING 'N BASIE than I had the time before.  So, I'd be happy to challenge my former impressions with new listening and thinking -- especially, if you would say more about some of the tracks you find strongest and what you hear in them.

26/7/2011 6:47 pm  #3

Steve,

Thanks for replying! The arrangements by Sammy Nestico are really fine (IMHO) as he was just beginning his stay with the band as arranger for many years. The band sounds great. What is missing is the "connection" between man and music together "live" in the studio. Bing is distanced by the fact that he dubbed his vocals over the band's recordings. (Something Tony nor Mr. S were ever fond of doing and would NEVER do with a band as supercharged as Basie's.)

"Gentle On My Mind"  what a great chart and Bing almost pulls it off. But the song and singer don't quite match.

"Everything Is Beautiful"  "Isn't Basie beautiful? I love to hear him play!" adds that Crosby touch to this one.

"Gonna Build a Mountain"  Never a favorite song of mine, I think both band and vocalist do match up well on this.

"Sunrise, Sunset"  In it's own strange way this one comes off as a swinger!

"Hangin' Loose" It comes off as close to having a "feel" to it as any other chart on the album.

"All His Children" OK chart and performance. Fine Bing ending.

"Put Your Hand In the Hand"  Song, singer and band are like oil and water on this one. But the chart cooks! 

"Snowbird" Another song that never lit my candle. Bing sounds like he is sleepwalking on this one. 

"Little Green Apples" "All I've got to say...let's try it Basie's way!" connects in a way as if it were a "live" session. It puts some connection and personal touch to the really fine chart. (It reminds me of Tony's swinging version of "Little Green Apples" brought a tad bit more down to earth!)

"Sugar, Don't You Know" Very fine, sultry swinger in typical Basie style. Bing melts right into this one!

"Have a Nice Day" Good ending for the LP. Somewhat dated lyrics spoil it's freshness but it's a keeper.

We could go on and on about what might have been on this pairing, but thank God we at least have this to enjoy. I am satisfied with it. So come on, guys...dust off your old copies and give this diamond-in-the-rough a listen.

Last edited by paulmock (26/7/2011 8:24 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

27/7/2011 6:31 am  #4

"Hanging Loose" was the track that impressed Ken Barnes. He called it the real highspot of the album. It may be the one that made Ken want to record Bing.

27/7/2011 3:11 pm  #5

The mystery here was why record twelve tracks and release only eleven? The unreleased 'If I had a Hammer' has no obvious defects and does not seem less satisfactory than several other tracks. 

There are some nice songs here but unfortunately the standard is not consistently high and the band and Bing do not really mesh together well on several songs.  'Hanging Loose' does stand out above the rest - Bing fits his treatment to the words very well.   I am left feeling that if the band and Bing had rehearsed together and attuned themselves to each other, more could have been achieved.

27/7/2011 4:16 pm  #6

Richard Baker wrote:

The mystery here was why record twelve tracks and release only eleven? The unreleased 'If I had a Hammer' has no obvious defects and does not seem less satisfactory than several other tracks. 

There are some nice songs here but unfortunately the standard is not consistently high and the band and Bing do not really mesh together well on several songs.  'Hanging Loose' does stand out above the rest - Bing fits his treatment to the words very well.   I am left feeling that if the band and Bing had rehearsed together and attuned themselves to each other, more could have been achieved.

EXACTLY, Richard. In one word "Energy".

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera