20/7/2011 10:55 am  #1

Through The Years Volume 8

A little time to wait - until October in fact. ICC members will shortly be receiving order forms with the Summer 2011 issue of Bing. Others will no doubt keep eyes on the pre-order facility on Amazon and Sepia's own web page http://www.sepiarecords.com/index.html

In the meantime, this is what you are waiting for -
16 June 1954   
1    MG3675     I've Got A Pocketful Of Dreams (Johnny Burke, James V Monaco)
2    MG3675     Mexicali Rose (Helen Stone, Jack B Tenney)
3    MG3675     That Sly Old Gentleman From Featherbed Lane (Johnny Burke, James V Monaco)
4    MG3675     Alla en El Rancho Grande (Bartley Costello, J D Del Morales, Silvano Ramos, Emilio D Uranga)
5    MG3675     Tumbling Tumbleweeds (Bob Nolan)
6    MG3675     Only Forever (Johnny Burke, James V Monaco)
7    MG3675     Did Your Mother Come From Ireland? (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Carr)
8    MG3675     Lullabye (Cradle Song, Brahms) (Penny, Johannes Brahms)

19 June 1954
9     MG3673     I Can't Escape From You (Leo Robin, Richard A Whiting)
10    MG3673     Pennies From Heaven (Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke)

21 June 1954
11    L7741        All She'd Say Was "Umh Hum" (Mac Emery, Joe Schenk, King Zany, Gus Van)
12    L7742         She Is The Sunshine Of Virginia (Ballard Macdonald, Harry Carroll)

9 September 1954
13    W86772     Blue Skies  (Irving Berlin)/ I'd Rather See A Minstrel Show (Irving Berlin)/ Mandy (Irving Berlin)

23 September 1954
14    L7933         Who Gave You The Roses? (Irving Newman)
15    L7934         Song from DesirĂ©e (We Meet Again) (Ken Darby, Alfred Newman)

4 November 1954
16    S2046         Peace Prayer Of St Francis (Revd. Owen Da Silva)
17    S2047         Blessing Of St Francis (Revd. Owen Da Silva)

23 December 1954
18    L8068         The Land Around Us  (Harold Arlen, Ira Gershwin)
19    L8069         It's Mine, It's Yours  (Harold Arlen, Ira Gershwin)
20    L8070         The Search Is Through  (Harold Arlen, Ira Gershwin)
21    L8071         Dissertation On A State Of Bliss (Harold Arlen, Ira Gershwin)

11 March 1955
22    L8232         Jim, Johnny And Jonas  (Johnny Bond)
23    L8233         Farewell  (George Bruns, Tom Blackburn)

1 July 1955
24    L8527         Angel Bells (Earle Hagen, Harry Ruby, Herbert Spencer)
25    L8529         Let's Harmonise  (Al Skinner, Sonny Burke, Dore Finch)

26/7/2011 2:20 am  #2

Re: Through The Years Volume 8

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why the "Anything Goes" tracks recorded April, May, and June of 1955 have been left off of this release?

Zane Johnson

26/7/2011 6:07 am  #3

We are now entering a period where some tracks are currently available on other CDs. Universal have a CD containing the Anything Goes tracks and Mosaic have the Bing and Buddy Cole tracks which were re-mastered by Decca. We have decided not to compete with these CDs just in case Sepia might face legal challenges. It had been our plan to complete Bing's Decca contract period and we shall more or less do this with vols. 9 and 10 although we may have to omit the High Tor tracks too. That will then be the end of the series which was first started by John McNicholas on his Jonzo label back in 1986.

26/7/2011 11:48 am  #4

Thank you for the response, Malcolm.  I was just curious because the Anything Goes soundtrack is out of print here in the US along with the DVD (although you can find it used in certain areas - maybe it is still in print in the UK?).  Your explanation makes perfect sense, though.  I am wondering what else will be included that would fill both a Volume 9 and a Volume 10?  Looking at Richard's discography, the last portion of Bing's Decca contract would easily be covered by a Volume 9.  Are there any additional tracks not mentioned there that will be included, or is the plan to also include Songs I Wish I Had Sung (The First Time Around)?

Zane Johnson

26/7/2011 1:31 pm  #5

zanereed wrote:

I was just curious because the Anything Goes soundtrack is out of print here in the US along with the DVD (although you can find it used in certain areas - maybe it is still in print in the UK?).

I think that Anything Goes is probably now scarce as a CD anywhere. An Amazon UK 'partner' has a copy listed as a US import (which it always was) and Amazon US also via 'partners' (or used) but both have it as downloads. The Listings via the partners are all pretty expensive.

(US) http://www.amazon.com/Anything-Goes-1956-Film-Soundtrack/dp/B00018U9WK/ref=sr_1_31?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311685772&sr=1-31

(UK) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anything-Goes-Us-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B00018U9WK/ref=sr_1_17?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311685837&sr=1-17

As to the wider question of what might possibly be included on the remaining Through the Years issues I think that might be covered by Malcolm, but I would just point out that the the releases are many months away and I suspect that discussions and planning might still be taking place.

I think it was inevitable that the strict comprehensive and chronological format could not be maintained at the end of the series because of the changes in contracts at the end of the long relationship with Decca and resultant issues surrounding rights.

Last edited by Richard Baker (26/7/2011 1:32 pm)

26/7/2011 1:38 pm  #6

Richard Baker wrote:

I think it was inevitable that the strict comprehensive and chronological format could not be maintained at the end of the series because of the changes in contracts at the end of the long relationship with Decca and resultant issues surrounding rights.

Very true, Richard.  Again, I didn't mean to come across as ungreatful at all.  Personally, I'm very pleased that this project will have succeeded in its mission by next year - 61 releases, and the (almost) entire commerical Bing era 1926 - 1955 will have been preserved.  That's a remarkable accomplishment, in my humble opinion.

Zane Johnson

27/7/2011 6:35 am  #7

As Richard says, discussions are still taking place about vols. 9 and 10. I'll keep you all informed.

Board footera