15/7/2011 9:11 pm  #1

The Small One / The Happy Prince

I just acquired the Decca LP (DL74283) that collects both of these stories, along with two songs: "Adeste Fidelis" and "The Sweetest Story Ever Told."  I looked up the earliest recordings of these to find they were in 1946 and 1944, respectively. Each was also recorded in 4 segments some months after the complete versions.  I assume those may have appeared as albums of singles, first 78s, maybe 45s later.  I don't suppose there is any way to know eactly when they might have first been released together on a 12" LP.  I suppose they might have fit on a 10" LP without the two songs.

I have heard that these stories existed before, but this is my first listening.  My expectation was that Bing would be excellent in speaking either as a character or a narrator.  On that score, the disk doesn't disappoint.  While "The Small One" is clearly a Christmas story -- a cousin to others connected to beasts around the manger or some relation to "Amal and the Night Vistors," in that the boy character is similar -- , "The Happy Prince" is a harsher wintertime tale, in which a talking, richly adorned statue is gradually dismembered by a befriended swallow in order to look after the needs of the unfortunates of the town, until they both die and are thrown onto the dump.  None of the current town leaders recognize their sacrifice (leaving that to Heaven.) "The Happy Prince" is less of a sweet childrens' tale, and more like something by a Dickens living somewhat closer to the Mediterranean.  Maybe one would only play side one for the youngest children, and then side two for those old enough to handle imagining Jacob Marley's chains and burial wrappings after it is quite dark outside.

It is very interesting hearing Orson Welles and Bing work together on the second story.  I wish the persons who voiced the child and bird had been creditied, as they, too, did Yoeman's work in these creations.

I'd certainly like to hear of other fans impressions of these stories or to learn of more background about them.

Last edited by Steve Fay (15/7/2011 9:17 pm)

15/7/2011 10:09 pm  #2

Re: The Small One / The Happy Prince

Steve Fay wrote:

I wish the persons who voiced the child and bird had been creditied, as they, too, did Yoeman's work in these creations.

The part of the swallow in the Happy Prince was taken by Lurene Tuttle.
More about her here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurene_Tuttle

16/7/2011 1:13 pm  #3

Re: The Small One / The Happy Prince

Richard, thanks!  You can tell by the perfomance that it was done by someone very accomplished.  I must have heard her before in a radio drama or two, or must have seen her in some early TV episode.  The quotations about and by her near the end of the article are quite interesting.  Lurine Tuttle seems to have been one of the stalwarts of the radio acting era.

Board footera