08/7/2019 11:27 pm  #1

Bing Crosby and The Longines Symphonette recordings?

Hey everyone!

Today I discovered some of the recordings Bing made with the Longines Symphonette backings for the 1968 "The Songs I Love" box set, and they sound absolutely beautiful! I love the gorgeous string backing on some of them, its a setting that I've wanted to hear Bing in more than I have.

However, I've been searching online for some way to find the rest and outside of buying the vinyl boxset itself, I can't seem to find any other options. I'm not opposed to buying the box necessarily, but I'm really just interested in the Bing-vocal material. And my equipment isn't good enough to make a proper, high quality vinyl transfer to listen to digitally.

I'm not sure how asking for things like this is viewed on here but...is there anyone here who might be able to point me in the direction of a way to find the 36 vocal sides recorded for this project? Digitally, CD, mp3 files, anything? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

09/7/2019 6:10 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby and The Longines Symphonette recordings?

All 36 Bing tracks were issued on an unofficial CD called Liilis, Love and a Little Covered Wagon. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/crosby1c.html

09/7/2019 10:50 pm  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

All 36 Bing tracks were issued on an unofficial CD called Liilis, Love and a Little Covered Wagon. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/crosby1c.html

It will be hard to find but they do appear from time to time. It is a two CD set which also has the Crosby tracks from the two LP set "How The West Was Won" of 1959.
There is no identification of Bing on the cover. 

09/7/2019 11:43 pm  #4

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm searching all over the place to find this CD though and I'm having absolutely no luck...really frustrating. Any ideas on where to look or people who may have extra copies? I wish these were available digitally!

10/7/2019 1:04 am  #5

I am probably wrong, but for some reason I seem to think that this was reissued much more recently under a different title, of course.   I also got the original Lillis double CD when it was released years ago so I never did get the, what I think to be, a new re-issue under the new title.   Could it have been a Sepia CD??   I don't know, just something in my memory bank says it was more recently re-issued (not the Lillis CD but a whole new re-titled CD).   I'm probably wrong.   That Lillis CD series (there were a series of them back then in the '80's and '90's) would all be CDs containing Bing recordings that were hard to find at the time, if not impossible for some of the recordings they contained.   They were released by what I think were private collectors who used the "Lillis" name to avoid the long arm of the greedy copyright police.

10/7/2019 12:10 pm  #6

Yes those Harry Lillis CDs are among my prized possessions. I don't believe they have been reissued but I could be wrong. Many of the CDs still have rarities on them, and I believe they were issued in the mid 1990s.

13/7/2019 11:44 pm  #7

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll be keeping an eye out for the Harry Lillis CD...hopefully one will show up someday haha! I've found several great listings for the LP box set as well

Some good news, thanks to some asking around I found someone who was able to provide me an mp3 version of the 36 tracks, and I LOVE THEM. Big, lush orchestral arrangements and strings are some of my favorite backings, and these sound great with Bing. I had been hoping to someday find some recordings of ballads, etc. where he has just this type of orchestral backing and I'm so glad to hear these. Bing may sound a bit thin here and there but there is true gold on these tracks. I do think they could've been mixed a bit better, the orchestra has some nice natural reverb but Bing's voice is pretty dry and noticeably sits on top. Could've used a little reverberation, I think this dryness of the vocal tracks may contribute to the slight thin sound of his voice at times.

At any rate, getting to listen to these was an immense delight and will definitely speed up the process of buying the LP 100%!

Board footera