25/5/2019 5:21 pm  #1

We've Got Another Bond to Buy

Nice copy of US Department of Treasury promo film for the WWII Victory Loan (42364).
"Presented by the Special Events Section of the United States Dept. of Treasury, this short film is a promo for the Victory Loan Program in 1945. The film presents an overview of the motion pictures created to promote the Victory Loans — war bond sales — to continue financing the war effort. The films promoted include "Peace Comes to America", "Stilwell Road", "Objective Security", "Diary of a Sergeant", and more. The film ends with the song "We've Got Another Bond to Buy" sung by Bing Crosby. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyigAYZ6DI

03/6/2019 8:14 am  #2

Re: We've Got Another Bond to Buy

Gee, that was interesting Frans. During the War those films and records which Bing made including' We have another bond to buy' were used in Australia to promote our government's loans. In 1945 our Prime Minister had a commemorative plaque displaying our nation's coat-of-arms made for Bing as a gesture of thanks.

03/6/2019 10:39 pm  #3

While working at Hoyt’s Theatres in the advertising department, on top of the Century Theatre in Sydney, the record department was on our floor.
Vera Turner was in charge and we could hear records being played through parts of the day.
They were being tested then sent to suburban theatres.
Vera was having a cleanup in the mid 1950’s and she gave me two Bing 78’s - I think everyone and anyone who knows me or met me knew I was a mad Bing fan.
The 78’s were - Buy Buy Buy a Bond and We have another bond to buy.
I still have one of those 78’s but the other got caught up I think amongst a heap of 78’s I got rid of.
Oh, ‘Man on Fire’ was on TCM today.
Another ‘oh’. At Hoyts my  Advertising  boss was Cliff Holt - brother of PM Harold Holt.
Cliff died in 1967 and Harold drowned in 1967-9 months apart.
I am in contact with Cliff’s daughters.

27/6/2019 6:14 am  #4

G'day Ron. As I lived in Melbourne in my early years I don't know anything about the Century Theatre. I presume it was in the city. I wonder what's on the site now. As far as I know, none of Bing's films were screened at the Century.

27/6/2019 9:24 pm  #5

Graham,
The Century was just up from the Plaza - which is now a MacDonalds, and Hoyts HO was above that with the entrance on the corner of Wilmott St.
The Crystal Palace Arcade was next to the Century where we caught the lift upstairs. Lou Morris was a tailor in the Arcade and where I bought my first tailor made suit - a blue one.
Also there was the Crystal Palace auditorium where radio shows were performed and recorded - Hal Lashwood, ‘Young’ Harry Griffiths, Howard Craven, Al Thomas - recorded Meet Me At Mickeys.
There was a Lane way next to the Century and a work mate and self tried to 0lay handball against th3 wall but were quickly told off as the thump, thump of the ball interfered with the people watching a movie.
Those days most of the city theatres screened at 11; 2; 5 and 8.
If you go to google and type Century Theatre it will probably pop up.
The Regent was our main theatre. In the group were the Regent, Plaza, Century, Civic Haymarket, Esquire, Mayfair, Palace, Paris.
Each theatre showed particular type of films - the Mayfair showing British films, Plaza - action etc.

27/6/2019 9:29 pm  #6

Graham,
Thea Regent showed Bells of St. Mary’s as it was an RKO release and not Paramount.
Likewise Pennies from Heaven was Columbia.
The 2 Universal movies would have been shown at Greater Union Theatres.
All Paramount releases were at the Prince Edward.
MGM had the St. James and Lyric.
Hoyts released Fox,RKO, Warners, UA and some others.
I think HSBC May be on the Century block.

22/7/2019 5:35 am  #7

I've just listened to Greg Van Beek's radio program from WGXI in Wisconsin and he played the 16 September 1943 Kraft Music Hall session in which urged Americans to buy another bond.Thanks to Ron for the information on Sydney cinemas. Melbourne's Regent Theatre is still there and used for live shows.

Board footera