06/5/2019 3:18 am  #1

Sundays Like You Used To Know

Several months ago, maybe a year, I started watching stuff I remember watching on Sundays when I was a kid on local TV stations.   Back in those days ('60's and '70's) a TV station would show Blondie each week and another station would play a different comedy movie each week.  They were what I would call classic comedy movies today, but back then it was just a normal comedy movie.   One week they'd show a W.C. Fields, next week would be a Bowery Boys, next would be a Laurel and Hardy, then a 3 Stooges movie the next week, then would come a Bing Crosby movie, then would come an Abbott & Costello, Jimmy Durante, Donald O'Connor, or a Ma & Pa Kettle movie the following weeks.  Each of these would take turns being shown once every Sunday morning.

Well, that's what I decided to re-create in my house every Sunday now.  Lordy knows you won't find this stuff on TV nowadays.  So this is what I've been doing watching one of these different classic comedy movies each week in addition I've added one week where I'll watch several different classic comedy shorts from the likes of Thelma Todd & Zazu Pitts/Patsy Kelly, Shemp Howard shorts (he made some really funny solo shorts in the early '40's), Laurel & Hardy shorts, 3 Stooges shorts and soon I'm adding Charlie Chase shorts to the bunch.   Full disclosure I start off the Sunday breakfast with watching what I think is a perfect Sunday TV show, Courtship of Eddie's Father then I will go to a classic comedy.

Anyway this is all to explain I'm now watching Bing Crosby movies about every 5 or 6 weeks, today I watched a movie I don't think I've seen for 25 years or more, HERE COME THE WAVES.   I had remembered this movie as having very little Bing in it and a whole lot of Betty Hutton, Bing being almost doing just a brief appearance.   Well, I sure remembered this movie wrong.   Bing is in it for just about the whole movie, he even sings some real classic Bing songs.   I still get a kick just SEEING Bing sing songs I hear him sing all the time on my computer or player in the car.   It's a thrill, I don't faint like the girls did in today's movie but it is neat to see him sing the songs you hear all the time.   I think he even does (I hope this was the case anyway) a bit of a parody of himself at the beginning when he sings "That Old Black Magic".  It really looked like he was doing an imitation of the imitators who would imitate Bing.   Over the top Bing style of singing.   I'm not sure though, if this was Bing being sincere or was he really kidding himself with this.   Bing did have quite a sense of humor, so I think he meant it to be a parody.

Anyway, it sure is nice to see these classic old Bing movies again on a regular basis instead of just when I happen to think to watch one.  When I watch Bing only when it occurs to me rather than in a schedule like this I tend to only watch my favorite Bing movies over and skip the earlier movies concentrating on mainly movies from the late '40's and all the '50's movies (I love this era of Bing movies, ALL of them including Man On Fire).  Now I'm seeing all the ones I've been skipping for 20 or more years.  

Some of you should try this, you either already realize this or it may surprise you how enjoyable it is.  These classic movies are TOTALLY enjoyable and I'm speaking of all the different comedy artists I listed above, all their movies are a joy.

07/5/2019 5:57 pm  #2

Re: Sundays Like You Used To Know

First off I didn’t really care for HERE COMES THE WAVES and Bing’s version of That Old Black Magic as I think I was comparing it to the Billy Daniels version which was more active.
However, years laters I came to realise that the Old Black Magic scene was a bit of a dig at Sinatra and the ‘Bobby-soxsers’.
Betty Hutton did a good job playing twin sisters.

08/5/2019 12:22 pm  #3

Archiefit wrote:

Several months ago, maybe a year, I started watching stuff I remember watching on Sundays when I was a kid on local TV stations.   Back in those days ('60's and '70's) a TV station would show Blondie each week and another station would play a different comedy movie each week.  They were what I would call classic comedy movies today, but back then it was just a normal comedy movie.   One week they'd show a W.C. Fields, next week would be a Bowery Boys, next would be a Laurel and Hardy, then a 3 Stooges movie the next week, then would come a Bing Crosby movie, then would come an Abbott & Costello, Jimmy Durante, Donald O'Connor, or a Ma & Pa Kettle movie the following weeks.  Each of these would take turns being shown once every Sunday morning.

Well, that's what I decided to re-create in my house every Sunday now.  Lordy knows you won't find this stuff on TV nowadays.  So this is what I've been doing watching one of these different classic comedy movies each week in addition I've added one week where I'll watch several different classic comedy shorts from the likes of Thelma Todd & Zazu Pitts/Patsy Kelly, Shemp Howard shorts (he made some really funny solo shorts in the early '40's), Laurel & Hardy shorts, 3 Stooges shorts and soon I'm adding Charlie Chase shorts to the bunch.   Full disclosure I start off the Sunday breakfast with watching what I think is a perfect Sunday TV show, Courtship of Eddie's Father then I will go to a classic comedy.

Anyway this is all to explain I'm now watching Bing Crosby movies about every 5 or 6 weeks, today I watched a movie I don't think I've seen for 25 years or more, HERE COME THE WAVES.   I had remembered this movie as having very little Bing in it and a whole lot of Betty Hutton, Bing being almost doing just a brief appearance.   Well, I sure remembered this movie wrong.   Bing is in it for just about the whole movie, he even sings some real classic Bing songs.   I still get a kick just SEEING Bing sing songs I hear him sing all the time on my computer or player in the car.   It's a thrill, I don't faint like the girls did in today's movie but it is neat to see him sing the songs you hear all the time.   I think he even does (I hope this was the case anyway) a bit of a parody of himself at the beginning when he sings "That Old Black Magic".  It really looked like he was doing an imitation of the imitators who would imitate Bing.   Over the top Bing style of singing.   I'm not sure though, if this was Bing being sincere or was he really kidding himself with this.   Bing did have quite a sense of humor, so I think he meant it to be a parody.

Anyway, it sure is nice to see these classic old Bing movies again on a regular basis instead of just when I happen to think to watch one.  When I watch Bing only when it occurs to me rather than in a schedule like this I tend to only watch my favorite Bing movies over and skip the earlier movies concentrating on mainly movies from the late '40's and all the '50's movies (I love this era of Bing movies, ALL of them including Man On Fire).  Now I'm seeing all the ones I've been skipping for 20 or more years.  

Some of you should try this, you either already realize this or it may surprise you how enjoyable it is.  These classic movies are TOTALLY enjoyable and I'm speaking of all the different comedy artists I listed above, all their movies are a joy.

Lee,

I  remember on Sunday mornings - our local channel would rotate between Blondie, Ma & Pa Kettle, and Abbott & Costello movies. Wow, you jogged my memory! I will have to do that! Great idea!

I always liked Here Comes The Waves. Of all the fluffy war movies of that time, I thought it was the best, and as you said Bing sang some great songs in that flick. 

Thanks for the memories!

09/5/2019 12:32 am  #4

And to really re-create Sunday viewing I end my daytime viewing by watching Lassie, the Timmy & Lassie years esp. though I also will watch Jeff's Collie too, but I don't watch Lassie when he became a forest ranger and animal whisperer.  I used to watch My Favorite Martian on Sundays too, that was another original Sunday show, but that was before I started watching the classic comedy movies and shorts.

To re-create Saturday morning and daytime viewing I started about 2 years or more ago watching classic cartoons, esp. Hanna-Barberra toons Huckleberry Hound, Augie Doggie, Quick Draw McGraw and all the many others along with the '60's Superman toons and other Filmation heroes toons of the '60's.   Watching classic toons like this really helps Saturdays become just like they should be once again.   Just another idea.

Board footera