21/2/2019 1:18 pm  #1

What Bing Crosby movies have you never seen?

I have seen the majority Bing films, since in my early days of collecting there were a lot of collectors with bootleg copies.

I think I have 80% of them on DVD now, but here are the movies I have never seen or never watched all the way through:

1. Too Much Harmony
2. Here Is My Heart (never watched all the way through)
3. Paris Honeymoon (never watched all the way through)
4. Say One For Me
5. The Stagecoach

I gotta work on watching them. I have all of them on DVD now!

22/2/2019 3:36 am  #2

Re: What Bing Crosby movies have you never seen?

I've seen all of Bing's movies at least once.  I recently started to watch all those "hardly ever seen" movies again, so in a year or so I should be able to say I've seen them all at least twice.   My least favorite and the ones I've only seen once are the 1930's movies, I find most of them made before 1938 to be positively bizarre, as if they were made on a different planet.   But from SIng You SInners on they're all great Bing movies.  One of my very favorites "Say One For Me" I watch just about every year at Christmas time, I love all the character actors seen in this movies (not a big fan of the young Robert Wagner or Debbie Reynolds for that matter) but I love seeing Joe Besser, Ray Walston, Les Tremayne, Frank McHugh and Sebastian Cabot, they all make this movie fun for me.   And seeing Bing sing "Secret of Christmas" is only second best to see him sing "White Christmas" in Holiday Inn. 

But I've now girded myself again to start watching those dreaded '30's movies again.  This coming Sunday I'll be watching Waikiki Wedding.  It's only a matter of time before I say Paris Honeymoon, here I come.

Last edited by Archiefit (22/2/2019 3:39 am)

22/2/2019 12:57 pm  #3

I agree most of the 30s movies are unwatchable except for the singing and music, but I do like Pennies From Heaven. That Bing film actually had a plot. 

22/2/2019 10:55 pm  #4

There are exceptions and "Pennies From Heaven" is definitely an exception, an excellent movie, thoroughly entertaining thru-out.  I also like "If I Had My Way" (I haven't looked it up) but if this movie was made before 1938 then it's another exception, I like this one a lot too.  It seems after 1938 the Bing movies were all good to excellent, don't ask about the ones before.

23/2/2019 12:53 am  #5

Archiefit wrote:

There are exceptions and "Pennies From Heaven" is definitely an exception, an excellent movie, thoroughly entertaining thru-out.  I also like "If I Had My Way" (I haven't looked it up) but if this movie was made before 1938 then it's another exception, I like this one a lot too.  It seems after 1938 the Bing movies were all good to excellent, don't ask about the ones before.

I think The Big Broadcast is watchable just for all the great stars and Bing's first movie. Then Bing hit a rut where they just threw together scripts for him. The Star Maker is pretty good but that is 1939 I think. I agree after 1938 Bing did a good job for almost a decade of picking good roles. He slumped a little bit in the 1940s, but then rebounded in the early 1950s I think.

23/2/2019 3:21 am  #6

By the way, a movie I have wished would be sold commercially for years, "Top O The Morning" WILL be shown on TV for the first time since AMC showed it decades ago (I recorded it then too) but this coming March TCM will show "Top Of The Moanin'", I can't wait.

23/2/2019 1:46 pm  #7

I just saw Top O The Morning for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was ok - not Bing's best in my opinion but glad I saw it.

25/2/2019 3:41 pm  #8

Sadly, it would be easier to make  a list of the movies I've seen...

08/3/2019 10:47 pm  #9

Top 'O The Morning will be on TCM this weekend.
Check the TV guide for time

Board footera