20/8/2018 9:48 pm  #1

REVIEW OF GARY GIDDINS' VOLUME 1 BY STEVE CERRA

While we're waiting for the second volume of the Giddins biography of Bing to hit the bookstores later this year, I thought I would share this excellent review of the first volume that my friend Steve Cerra, author of the excellent blog Jazz Profiles, published back in 2015:

https://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2015/01/gary-giddins-bing-crosby-pocketful-of.html

21/8/2018 10:56 am  #2

Re: REVIEW OF GARY GIDDINS' VOLUME 1 BY STEVE CERRA

This will take me some time to read. The first paragraphs are quite promising. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by frans (21/8/2018 10:56 am)

21/8/2018 6:47 pm  #3

Finally have placed my order with Amazon.
Expected delivery date between 5-8 November. Not paying for express delivery as a day or two more won't hurt after 10 years waiting.

06/1/2019 5:33 pm  #4

Halfway through Volume 1, and Volume 2 was delivered Friday.  Amazing read... I just wish I had a CD recording for every single that Giddins has broken down for the reader.  I feel like Im missing out every time he analyzes a song.

29/8/2019 4:10 pm  #5

I’m sure that Bing brings out the best in people as a friend saw a copy of Vol.1 and immediately thought of me and bought it and gave it to me.
Don’t know how much it cost the person but it was nice of them to do so.
Of course I do have Vol. 1 back in Aus so a copy here won’t hurt.
Other people have given me Bing related items - a pro-am decanter, 78’s, CD’s movies just because..
Think I might write to the Pope and have him canonised.

08/9/2019 6:40 am  #6

After various interruptions I've resumed reading Volume 2 and am fascinated by the depth of Garry Giddins' descriptions of the lead-up to and filming of GOING MY WAY. It's especially revealing to learn that so many incidental aspects such as actors' reactions didn't happen by chance. How fortunate we readers are that Giddins was able to interview so many participants and get access to so much written or taped material and that he paid such attention to detail.

Board footera