01/6/2018 9:39 am  #1

I've Got The Girl

A copy of Bing's first recording has appeared on e-bay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Don-Clark-Orch-BING-CROSBY-78-I-ve-got-the-Girl-COLUMBIA-824-D-Bing-s-First/192531458782?hash=item2cd3c4eade:g:dHQAAOSwadda7bDM

Unfortunately, judging from the accompanying pictures, it doesn't seem to be in great condition, but this is the first time I've seen one crop up on e-bay... I've been looking for a copy for years, but given the condition I'll think I'll keep looking..!

02/6/2018 1:43 pm  #2

Re: I've Got The Girl

That price is a little high. I paid $50 for my copy (after searching forever). It is in VG condition.

I would pass too at that starting price.

19/8/2020 5:34 pm  #3

John Bassett has just emailed me as follows.
"I wonder if any members were aware of the fact that an original 78 of “I’ve Got The Girl” was up for auction on Ebay in mid-August. To my knowledge, this is the third time in two years that Bing’s historic “first” has appeared on the global selling site by way of two American issues and one UK issue. Collectors cannot bemoan that these rare items never see the light of day! 824-D sold a couple of days ago for £70.59 on eBay.co.uk. Sorry to say I wasn’t lucky in this instance!"

19/8/2020 6:21 pm  #4

Jeremy,
I clicked on the site you mention but there is an - oomphs, the page is missing message.
Ron

15/10/2021 6:13 am  #5

I"VE GOT THE GIRL ,on original 78rpm release is still a fine collectable find. As played however ,it revealed  a botched job. Chipmunk voices? The very fine re-mastered version ,that I first got to hear myself (in 1977) , is an excellent piece of 1926  jazz band music. The peppy vocals (from Bing & Al) ,as re-mastered ,also add much joy to it!

15/10/2021 7:42 am  #6

Colin, you may well have read Richard Baker's article on 78rpm speeds in issue 187 of 'Bing', to which yours truly makes a small contribution. 'Bing' 188 contains a follow-up article by Mark Scrimger which to my mind - having been granted a sneak preview - gives a definitive last word on the subject. (Despite the fact that that last word leaves at least one of my own conclusions smouldering in the embers..!)

16/10/2021 6:03 am  #7

The article will be in BING189 due out next month.

16/10/2021 6:11 am  #8

Gary Giddins ,in his POCKET FULL OF DREAMS, notes the problem with IV'E GOT THE GIRL (pg. 145-147. For me, a long time before Giddons, it was my good friend, Richard Wagner. As a (Chicago, ILL) 78RPM  record collector, he found ways to play old 10 inch records using many speeds .He figured it out. It would be a good guess that Richard himself did the re-mastering before anyone else had thought of it? This very good man has been gone for a long time now, so he can't be asked. In any case, this is the kind of commercial recording that remains a huge WHAT IF.....

22/2/2022 6:18 pm  #9

Apologies for straying away from the playing speed and format of 78rpm with this one but is there a specific remastered version of this recording anyone could recommend of those subsequently made available on CD?

Board footera