12/2/2018 5:49 pm  #1

12/2/2018 8:31 pm  #2

Re: Vic Damone dies at age 89

V.I.P. Vic.
Growing up and hearing Vic for the first time it sounded as though his name was - Victor Mone - and not Vic Damone.
After seeing him at the London Palladium and waiting at the stage door to see him, a man said to him - Vic, I have all your records and hope you really make it one day.
Vic responded - thanks.
Another departure on the week end was former Australian rugby international and Lord Mayor of Sydney (his wife Maria, was Governor of NSW) Nick Shehadie at 92. Nick was instrumental in introducing the Rugby World Cup.

12/2/2018 11:33 pm  #3

Saw Vic and Regis Philbin having lunch at an outdoor cafe on Sunset Plaza about 10 or 12 years ago. I nodded to Vic as I passed by. They were still at the same table when I was returning to my office and Vic again nodded. I stopped and said " I want you to know that I still play the records!" Vic beamed from ear-to-ear and (quite unexpectedly) got out of his chair and came and shook my hand and thanked me for the kind words. He was an absolute class act all the way around. 

Last edited by paulmock (12/2/2018 11:35 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

12/2/2018 11:35 pm  #4

Memories are flying now....He was the first person I saw "live" in Las Vegas. It was 1972 (I was underage!!!) and it was at the Riviera where he opened for Rickles. I barely remember the performance now but I do know that it impressed me enough to buy some of his albums. Dean Martin (part owner of the hotel at the time) was in the audience as well and Rickles ripped him apart mercilessly.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

13/2/2018 6:19 pm  #5

Great memories and love the story about him and Regis!

'll admit, I really am not familiar with any of his work. I certainly was familiar with the name but not really anything beyond that. Considering he was 89 when he passed, I was shocked that he hit the charts in 1947! 

13/2/2018 6:43 pm  #6

If I had to choose one Vic album to recommend to newbies, it would be "The Game of Love" from 1959 on the Columbia label. Recorded with a small jazz combo...very intimate and his voice is smooth as silk. 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

14/2/2018 12:56 am  #7

Vic Damone is one of those singers I love and I have a ton of his stuff but I hardly listen to these days. I am making a tribute tape for a friend, and I am rediscovering Vic. What a voice. My favorite song he recorded was "Ruby" from the Capitol Years but he could sing anything.

Another legend gone...

17/2/2018 3:07 pm  #8

Archiefit wrote:

I read his obit in the NYTimes and I never knew Mr. White Bread, square image of a guy like Vic had such a wild life, mob hanging him out a window, ex wives offing themselves, married many many times.  His image was that of such a nice guy without a scandal, but apparently he lived a wild life.

That could be said about many entertainers and public figures. You might just be getting "close to the bone" here.  

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera