21/11/2016 10:50 pm  #1

Holiday Inn Blu Ray, Colorized edition included????

I don't even own a blu ray player but I would buy the Blu Ray release of Holiday Inn IF it included the colorized edition of Holiday Inn.  Reason I wonder and suspect that it may have the colorized edition is that on the back of the Blu Ray release are shown extras that include the same as were included on the colorized DVD release of Hol. Inn, that being specifically on how the movie was colorized.  Why would this extra colorizing type feature be included on the Blu ray release unless this Blu Ray edition also includes the colorized version along with the b/w version. 

Is there anyone out there that has bought the blu ray version of Holiday Inn?  If so, is the color version included with it??  Enquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Archiefit (22/11/2016 12:07 am)

22/11/2016 5:54 am  #2

Re: Holiday Inn Blu Ray, Colorized edition included????

A few years ago the late Ken Barnes released a colour version of HI.

24/11/2016 2:34 am  #3

Yes, I know that there is a color version, I've watched it on DVD since it was available.  I wish it were available 30 years ago so I could have had my wish for a color Holiday Inn a long time ago.   But my question is: Is the color version available on the Blu Ray commercial NTSC release??   Any one out there have the blu ray?  Any one at all, I'd appreciate an answer, how about a yes or no if you're too shy to explain?

24/11/2016 7:24 am  #4

Yes, the coloured version is definitely on the Blu-ray release.

24/11/2016 8:55 am  #5

One that I have not got. I already had two versions on DVD in the original black and white (one "Special Edition") when the colour version came out. I was bowled over by the quality, so much better than earlier attempts on some films at "colorization". All is vividly clear and bright, leading you to believe it could have been filmed in colour at the outset - and the colour is a lot better than original colour films of the time in my opinion.

But to buy yet another to get the benefits of Blu-Ray is just a step too far for me. Besides, I doubt that the improvement will be all that obvious. My 4K monitor screen claims that it "upsamples DVD input to near Blu-Ray quality" anyway. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

25/11/2016 4:05 am  #6

I don't even own a blu ray, I've been resisting because I'm happy with my DVDs.  As I say on a westerns board you can't improve on perfection.    But they all seem to love blu ray and I guess they're beginning to influence me.  I know I have no intention of re-buying everything all over again, but I might buy some things like the blu ray Holiday Inn IF I knew that the color version was included in it.   Thanks Malcom for a firm answer.  Now I'm on the spot do I or don't I buy blu ray now?   Hmmm.   I also really love the color version, I remember even when I was a kid watching Holiday Inn wishing it was in color and imagining how the scenes would look in color.   One thing I always focus on now is the peaches in the jars that Bing brings to Fred and co., they really look like real peaches now in color.  Only I wish the made the color version with a more intense bright color, I always have to turn the color dial all the way up to get normal looking color in the picture.  But once I turn the color all the way up on the TV dial it's beautiful!

27/11/2016 12:04 pm  #7

I'm still in two minds about blu ray. I haven't got a player, but I've seen a few Hollywood block-busters on my sister's system (including my desert-island-movie, David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia) and I just don't like the "look" the process imposes. I like my movies to look like movies which have been shot on film stock, especially b/w classics. Surely things like Casablanca benefit from having a bit of "grain" about them..? Blu Ray seems somehow to drain the blood out of everything, leaving a deep-focus image which looks like High Definition video.

Haven't seen any Bing on blu ray, 'though, so I'm prepared to reserve judgement for the time being.

I agree with Richard that the "colorized" (awful word..!) version of Holiday Inn is a revelation...

27/11/2016 5:04 pm  #8

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at the 'softness' in the colour of H I, compared to others than had been given the transfer which were all very glarey and bright.

Board footera