29/5/2016 2:54 pm  #1

Bob Hope - "Of Bing We Sing"

The Santa Monica Observer has an item about the discovery of a "lost" Bob Hope recording - Click on the link to see the complete report, but this is a quote of the main bit - 

"One day in 1984, an 81 year old immigrant turned entertainer, walked into to a Hollywood recording studio. Bob Hope came to Sunwest Recording Studio to sing a comedic number about another entertainer, an old friend of his named Bing Crosby. It lasts for three minutes and is entitled, Of Bing I Sing.The song was intended to be incorporated into a television broadcast of the Pebble Beach Masters Golf Tournament of 1984. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't; but either way, the song was lost for thirty two years. Until it turned up in a Santa Monica Alley, to be discovered by a certain local newspaper publisher.This town is filled with lost video and audio, and it's a shame because it's so much a part of LA history. James Hardy of Bob Hope Legacy, LLC (www.bobhope.com) says that he hasn't heard the tape before. Mark Brodka, spokesman for the Crosby family, confirms they don't have a copy of "Of Bing We Sing" either."

Listen to it here - 

29/5/2016 4:34 pm  #2

Re: Bob Hope - "Of Bing We Sing"

It's the opening song from the Pasadena show taped March 3, 1977. The one when Bing fell off the stage at the end. Don't know where they got the 1984 bit from.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (29/5/2016 4:36 pm)

29/5/2016 10:37 pm  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

It's the opening song from the Pasadena show taped March 3, 1977. The one when Bing fell off the stage at the end. Don't know where they got the 1984 bit from.

Thank you Malcolm. Just goes to show that I should not believe all that I read!

02/6/2016 7:39 am  #4

Thanks Richard and Malcolm. That would have been a beaut introduction to the concert. I wonder who wrote it.

Board footera