05/3/2016 10:56 pm  #1

BING CROSBY GOOD & RARE VOLUME 3 REVIEW

Dear all,

I've been listening to the great new Sepia release Good & Rare Vol. 3 and have written a review for my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, which you may access HERE.

It's a longer version of the review I also published today in the U.S. Amazon website, which you may also find HERE (just scroll down a little to read it).

This new installment in the Sepia series of Bing rarities is absolutely recommendable and a must for any serious fan. My gratitude and congratulations to Malcolm Macfarlane, Wig Wiggins, and Michael Crampton on a job extremely well done. Let's hope there will be more volumes in the series in the near future.

Hope you like the review! 

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (05/3/2016 10:59 pm)

06/3/2016 7:09 am  #2

Re: BING CROSBY GOOD & RARE VOLUME 3 REVIEW

Thanks, Anton. ICC members will be receiving an order slip with the next BING magazine which is at the printers now. The ICC has purchased a bulk supply so that members can be offered the CD at a discount. So it would help us if you don't rush off to buy the CD from Amazon.

06/3/2016 7:47 am  #3

You are very quick off the mark, Anton.

I agree with you that the group of demonstration recordings are delightful - and an interesting "template" for the radio recordings with Buddy Cole of some 20 years later. We share some opinions and my review for "Bing" magazine (written some weeks ago!) expresses similar views to yours! 

Any one out there with knowledge of betting jargon? There are some asides in which Bing expresses likelihood of success of some of the songs not just in pure betting odds but with elaborations. I'd love to know precisely what he means.

But, as Malcolm says, ICC members should be patient and await the order slip with the magazine.

And, BTW, another good CD is on it's way. Some KMH tracks that were never commercially recorded - quite inexplicably so.  Also via ICC.

06/3/2016 3:29 pm  #4

Thanks, Malcolm and Richard, for your kind words about my review of the third volume of Good & Rare. I totally agree with Richard that the demos are pretty much like templates for the CBS Radio sessions with Buddy Cole of the 1950s. No idea about the betting jargon, though, since I've never been a betting person...

I do agree, by the way, that ICC members should wait and order the CD through the club. I will definitely do that with the new CD of KMH broadcasts. I had no idea that was in the works, and I look forward to it! At the end of my Vintage Bandstand review of Good & Rare I included Wig's information so that maybe some of the readers of the blog, whether they are members of the ICC or not, might choose to acquire the CD through him.

06/3/2016 10:58 pm  #5

Anton, I too am guilty of rushing to buy Good and Rare vol. 3. Like you I will  buy the Kraft CD from the club. Anyway, I listened to cd and read booklet today. I enjoyed it very much. I loved reading the little notes about each song. Thanks to Malcolm, Richard, Wig, Michael,David, John and Colin- The Magnificent 7!

Peace and Love! 

31/3/2016 4:24 pm  #6

Richard--I'm sure you'll know the answer to this: Does ICC benefit if we purchase CDs such as this through them? I've been waiting because I assume that is the case, but I thought I'd make sure. I want to support ICC if I can. 

31/3/2016 9:39 pm  #7

Bingmo wrote:

Richard--I'm sure you'll know the answer to this: Does ICC benefit if we purchase CDs such as this through them? I've been waiting because I assume that is the case, but I thought I'd make sure. I want to support ICC if I can. 

Bingmo, in answer to your query, ICC has in fact been the prime mover behind the issues: - the initiative for the issue came from ICC and members supplied the recordings and notes.

ICC guarantees the issue by buying a stated number from the production company for onward sale to members. If we fail to sell that stock ICC will sustain a loss and will find it harder to justify under-writing any further issues, whilst if we sell all the ones we buy, it makes a nice contribution to the ICC funds.

01/4/2016 5:35 pm  #8

Thank you, Richard! I will be sure to purchase from ICC!

11/5/2016 2:51 pm  #9

A wonderful review, Anton. I also want to express sincere thanks to everyone involved with the creation of the CD. I actually thought it was more in tune with the "Through The Years" series, but I can see why it ended up as "Good & Rare" 

I loved hearing the demos, and I very much enjoyed finally hearing the alternate takes available for "Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings". I know that isn't everyone's favorite Bing release, but it has always been one of my favorites.

Again, thanks to everyone involved with this!

Zane Johnson

Board footera