13/12/2015 1:14 pm  #1

"Swinging on a Star" - by Judy Garland, Crosby radio tribute, 1954

Greetings,

I have been looking for this recording for many years now, but it has someone eluded me. Anyone have it? Thanks in advance.

All best.
LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

13/12/2015 1:37 pm  #2

Re: "Swinging on a Star" - by Judy Garland, Crosby radio tribute, 1954

The exact name of the radio show was the Bing Crosby Twentieth Anniversary Tribute, NBC, 1954. Here is the Judy Garland Database entry for it:

September 24 Bing Crosby Twentieth Anniversary Tribute  (NBC, 90min)
Host: Gary Crosby
Guests: Irving Berlin, Connie Boswell, Perry Bodkin, Paul Whiteman, John Scott Trotter, Johnny Mercer, Judy Garland, Bob Hope, Les Paul
Judy sang: Swinging on a Star

Last edited by Lawrence Schulman (13/12/2015 1:38 pm)

13/12/2015 7:27 pm  #3

Interesting, and new to me.  A tribute to Bing but he was apparently not involved. Gary would only have been 21.
20th Anniversary of what? Years with Decca? There had been some celebrations some years earlier to cover the 20th anniversary as a single entertainer and 20 years in radio.  

I assume, Lawrence, that you have trawled through all the "Old Time Radio" sites offering podcasts, downloads and sales of such items, though most of them do seem to concentrate on series rather than "specials" or other "one offs".

The listing to which you refer would seem to be http://www.jgdb.com/radio54.htm#bings20
(Their spelling of Perry Botkin's name is incorrect, by the way). I can find no other reference on the internet. 

13/12/2015 7:36 pm  #4

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for your reply.

In the late Scott Schecter's excellent book on Garland, Judy Garland: the Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Legend, he mentions Garland's appearance on the radio broadcast, which would be the last one on which she sings live. If you go to the following online link, you can see his listing:

https://books.google.com/books?id=GMtT0rOMyS4C&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=%22judy+garland%22%22swinging+on+a+star%22&source=bl&ots=CgbcXdCIW4&sig=3E6F66Jy5tuLXQoLGrvYMxrusfo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLk_WOytnJAhUGkh4KHfCsDcgQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=%22judy%20garland%22%22swinging%20on%20a%20star%22&f=false

Thanks for your help. Finding this recording would be a real find for me.

All best.
LAWRENCE SCHULMAN 

17/1/2016 11:12 pm  #5

Richard Baker wrote:

Interesting, and new to me.  A tribute to Bing but he was apparently not involved. Gary would only have been 21.....

I hope Gary wasn't disparaging his father behind the scenes during the production..... 

18/1/2016 5:50 pm  #6

Steve Fay wrote:

Richard Baker wrote:

Interesting, and new to me.  A tribute to Bing but he was apparently not involved. Gary would only have been 21.....

I hope Gary wasn't disparaging his father behind the scenes during the production..... 

I'm sure he was still on the Bing bandwagon in 54 since his dad was probably paying his way!

19/1/2016 5:56 pm  #7

Gary toured Australia in the mid 50's with Louis Armstrong.
Bing phoned 2KY identity Brian Howard to try and keep an eye on Gary whenever possible.
Brian ran the 'Bing and Swing Club' in Sydney and presented 2 shows per week. There was also a Bing and Swing Club rugby league team in the Balmain district junior league comp played on Sundays. I think that Bing supplied their football jumpers - blue and gold, naturally.
So, Bing would still have some control over Gary. Apparently Gary liked to bend the elbow, as we say, and Bing was concerned with his welfare.

Board footera